Monday, December 8, 2008

Advent with My Family


For the last two weeks I had been hoping to write a Advent post, With two Sundays already gone by, and still no post, I decided I'd share some of our family Advent traditions.
Starting from the first Sunday of Advent, On which we come home from mass and brake out the Christmas box's that have lain in wait since last Christmas. Out comes the Tree, To be adorned, not in the festive Christmas colours, with glass balls of green, gold and red, but in the colour the Church uses in time of waiting. So our tree is a ornament of purple covered green. On Christmas eve, the purple with be replaced with the traditional colours.

On this first Advent day, we also bring out the nativity scenes. Carefully each stable is place around the house, with the figure's of Joseph, Mary, shepherds and the wise men. Baby Jesus never is laid in the stable until Christmas eve when the most the family is sleeping. This is the remind us that we are preparing for his coming. I love waking up and seeing the baby Jesus in his place at long last, its a wonderful reminder of the true meaning of Christmas.

Another thing I have grown to love is the Advent wreath, the lighting of the candles each night, as we say our family prayers, each Sunday adding the glow of another candle. For me it builds up a suspense, I long to see all the candles lit and burning together.

On the 6th of December, The feast St Nicolas, my family celebrate by following the good Saints example. He was a rich young man who never failed to give to the needy, he ended up giving away everything he owned. There is many a story of people waking up to find Nicolas had left gold coins in their shoes, stocking, etc. So each year, each child in the family wakes to find a bag of chocolate coins, and a book or some other small early gift.
On that day the story of St Nick is read aloud, and we make St Nicolas biscuits to have with ice cream.

Though out Advent other feast days that our family love include,
The feast of Our Lady of Guadalupe, St Lucy and St Juan Diego, among others.

Another tradition I personally like is that of making rum balls, (and eating them too of course! :D)
My great grandmother and grandmother always made them, And so now does our family, I don't believe I could stand letting a Christmas go without making them.

This year I'd like to try something new as well. Most people have heard of Ginger bread houses, But I'd like to make a stable, or a manger out of some sort of food. I'd prefer using chocolate though. ;)

No comments: