Monday, December 15, 2008

False Colours.

Georgette Hayer writes this intriguing if sometimes confusing book, False Colours.
when I first found it at my grandmothers place, the cover of the book, pictured here, and the description on the back, caught my interest almost immediately, when I open the cover and found written inside that it had been given to my Mum for Christmas 10 years before I was born, I was didn't put it down, but sat and started reading. When I came home, I brought the book with me, and have read it though twice.
The story is set in the world of Ladies and Gents, attending Balls, of stiff politeness and chivalry, a time many people have come to know though the works of Jane Austin. Though Georgette's writing style differs greatly from Miss Austins.
Kit Fancot, arrives home unexpectedly late at night, though not unwelcome. His Mother greets him, and he soon finds his visit home was very timely. His twin brother, Evelyn, has gone missing, and though not a unusual event, his mother is worried as he has a appointment the next evening to meet the family of his bride to be. All this is news to Kit, he didn't even know his brother was engaged. And only engaged to the girl, because it would enable him to pay of his mother huge amounts of debt. When Evelyn fails to show, Kit posers as his brother and saves his brother from disgrace, for them moment.
As the summer continues, Kit finds himself falling in love with his brothers Fiancee, Cressida.
The girl doesn't take long to realise Kit was filling his brothers place, and where she never loved the older brother she was beginning to return Kits feelings.
When Evelyn does turn up, with a broken arm, the brother must find another way to discharge their mothers debts.

She fell silent for a few moments; and as though she were carefully picking her words 'Lord Denville, when you did me the honour of asking me to marry you, we discussed the matter - we began to discuss the matter quite frankly. But we were interrupted, as I expect you recall, and there has been no opportunity since that day to resume our discussion' she raised her eyes to his face. ' should like to be able to do so before coming to an irrevocable decision' He had been regarding her over the rim of his wine glass, but set the glass down at this,saying involuntarily: 'I thought you had come to a decision! how is this?'

No comments: