Thursday, August 28, 2008

Helping Skippy.

Or in this case, Benny.
Yes, as the name suggests, I, along with a few of my siblings have just spent the last hour and a half trying to stop this wallaby from hurting himself further. A full grown male as we found out when wires came out to take him and look after him. :) I'm so glad he was only a wallaby not a real kangaroo.
While sitting with (or on) him wrapped in blanket as the first photo shows, the kids wanted to give him a name, after debating a few minutes they named him Benny after the kangaroo from the Silver Stallion story's.
He wasn't pleased to be held down and I had to fight to keep him still a few times, but he calmed down in the end. Somehow he had hurt his leg and wasn't able to hop. He tried to get away when I first went down there, but he would keep falling over. Once I covered him up i was able to look at his leg, it seemed to be lightly cut in a few places, It must of been worse then it looked though. It didn't seem to be broken at all, but I'm not a expert so i have no idea just how bad it is.
The wallaby wrapped in the blanket I used to cover him up with. He freaked out when ever his head was uncovered, so we only have this one photo of his head.


After 'Benny' was put into the wires bag, doesn't he look so sad! hopefully his leg will be OK and he'll be back with his friends soon.

3 comments:

Elie said...

Cool! So..he's fully grown? he looks small..What's the difference between a wallaby and a kangaroo?

Emily of the North said...

Wallabys are generally smaller... I think.

He's adorable!!! I love his ears. :-D

Erin said...

Yep Emily, they are smaller. A full grown male Kangaroo depending on what breed they are, are usely quite big, some getting to be 6 foot. But this was only a little guy compaired to them.